A Closer Look at Email Settings
The From: Address
To ensure all emails are sent from a functioning, authentic email account, this field is not editable. If you’re sending your newsletter yourself, or using a third-party email service provider other than Mailchimp, this address will be the one you used when you signed up for Tidings.
If you send to a Mailchimp list (more on this below), the From: address will be the one you specified in your Mailchimp account. If you’d like to change it,
- Log in to Mailchimp
- Click your name at the top righthand corner
- Select Account from the dropdown menu
- On your account screen, click Settings, and then choose Contact Information from the dropdown menu
- Update the email address to the one you want your Tidings newsletters to come from
Selecting Your Recipients
By default, your newsletter will go to the email address associated with your Tidings account. This makes it super-easy to send yourself a draft of each newsletter before you send the final version to one of your Mailchimp lists.
For those of you who don’t use an email service provider, simply forward the email you receive at your own address to whichever recipients you’d like to receive it, in your preferred email client.
Or, if you use an email provider other than Mailchimp (such as Constant Contact or Emma), you can just copy-and-paste the HTML from your Tidings Newsletter into that provider’s interface.
But, as you may have guessed, we strongly recommend using Mailchimp as your email service provider. It’s free up to 2,000 subscribers and offers great reliability in delivering your emails and analytics around who is opening them and what they’re clicking on.
Connecting Your Mailchimp Account
Connecting your Mailchimp account takes literally just three clicks. First, click the on the recipients line. Then select “Connect Your Mailchimp Account” from the dropdown, and on the next screen log in to your Mailchimp account and authorize Tidings to access it.
When you return to Tidings, your Mailchimp lists will automatically populate in the recipients menu. Click the again and choose the one you’d like to send to.
Editing Your Subject Line
At the risk of stating the obvious, this is what your newsletter recipients will see when your email shows up in their inbox.
There’s no magic formula for subject lines, but we recommend following our “A-B-C-D” mantra:
- Authentic: The subject line should sound like YOU wrote it, not some trendy guru.
- Branded: Mailchimp actually found that branded subject lines were among the best performers out of 40 million emails analyzed. Even an unopened email can have bottom-line benefits for your brand.
- Consistent: The more consistent you keep at least some portion of your subject line from week-to-week, the more familiar with you (and your thought leadership) your subscribers are going to be.
- Descriptive: Just about the worst thing you can do with a newsletter headline is bait-and-switch your subscribers. Keep your newsletter headline focused on the actual content they can expect to read when they open it or scroll down.
To optimize recipient experience, we automatically sync your Subject Line and the headline of your newsletter, so if you make a change in either place, the other will be updated accordingly.
Scheduling Your Newsletter
The ability to schedule your newsletter at future date or time is yet another reason to sign up with Mailchimp and connect your account. Once you select a Mailchimp list, you’ll have the option to send your newsletter immediately, or change the delivery time to one of your choosing.
To schedule your newsletter, first click “Change” its timing. Next, choose your preferred date and time and click Apply.
If you change your mind, you can always click Cancel to start over again.